Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A correction to start things out today - "pupuseando" is the proper spelling from an earlier post.  It is from the verb pupuser - which means to diarrhea and pupuseando is the gerund, which means diarrheaing.  We are not sure if this verb can be reflexive but we think it's funny to put "se" on the end of the infinitive form, giving you pupuserse, meaning "to diarrhea yourself."  I have yet to find any form of this word anywhere else but Nicaragua - our dictionary shockingly, does not have it, and I haven't seen it used online.  If anyone has more information on this highly entertaining Spanish verb, please leave a comment at the end of this post.

A handful of visitors this week.  Ryan Mudd came in from Oahu on Wednesday.  He was faced with crappy surf because of another tropical storm in our region.  I tried to make up for the weather by feeding him copious amounts of food.  We celebrated his birthday on Saturday, also the day that Allegra and her sister Aislinn arrived from Costa Rica.  After excessive amounts of rum and some bomb fried chicken katsu curry, we ate vanilla cake with chocolate frosting - especially delicious because the sisters gifted me with some good old fashioned American vanilla.  It's the little things that you miss.

The wind seemed to calm down this morning - just in time for a big swell to roll through this week.  I sprained my ankle about five days ago and my cankle is officially released most of its swelling and should be good to go by tomorrow.  How did I sprain my ankle, you ask?  I stepped in a deep rut in the road while I wasn't paying attention.  Awesome.

In house news, locks on the windows and doors tomorrow, varnish for the downstairs floor, the solar panel should be coming this week and Managua is really going to happen.  We have managed to avoid the city for almost three months but it has finally become mandatory.  We need to extend our passport stamps as our ninety days is almost up and visit the solar store to purchase our propane fridge.  We are excited at the notion of going to an air-conditioned movie theater and eating McDonald's in between our errands.  Ian has said, (and I quote) "I would run over a chicken for a McDonald's double cheeseburger right now."  I wouldn't run over a chicken, but I am pretty excited to eat a double cheeseburger.  Again, it's the little things that you miss.

And here are a couple of random photos.





A couple of baking endeavors - homemade bagels and cinnamon rolls




a preview of our house color




shower floor - we collected all the rocks




Ryan Mudd, headed to Costa Rica - he got a seat inside.


San Carlos, my favorite grocery store - Ian "shopping"


Mabel, the slowest checker in the history of checkers

No comments:

Post a Comment