Tuesday, June 14, 2011

HI to NY

You know how it feels as you get farther and farther away from something, it becomes that much harder to go back?  For example, this blog?!  It's been so long and so much has happened that I was having a hard time trying to figure out where to begin so instead, I just didn't.  But here I am, in New York, eating cold macaroni and cheese and staring at a mound of feathers and I thought I'd distract myself from something inevitable by finally doing this.  In a nutshell, this is a brief synopsis of the last half year.


Puna at the house in East Hampton, NY


because we weren't leaving the lot without it....

Hawaii winter was cold and rainy with mediocre surf all season long.  Sadly, we didn't get in the water nearly as much as we should have and instead, worked our asses off.  But we got what we wanted out of being back home and that was the comfort of family and the ability to save a bunch of money and for that we owe everything to Ian's parents, Jon and Kathy.  Infinite love and gratitude to you both.  In March, I started an online business selling hair-feather extensions.  Random, indeed and instantly profitable.  I am completely obsessed and Ian has been immensely supportive.  The details are tedious and time consuming and I've been very, very busy with it all.  I finally put the shop on vacation last week and it was well-needed.  It has been an amazing experience and I feel very blessed that it's been successful.  In May, we left the island.  Ian was itching for adventure and for that, I love him.  We had initially applied for summer jobs in Alaska and when that fell through, Ian got in touch with his high-school friends who own a couple of restaurants in the Hampton's and hire seasonally.  So, here we are.  We live in the Hamptons.  Funny.  I know.  Two hippies in the Hampton's.  One with forty feathers in her hair.  We're working at a sushi restaurant on Main Street and Ian has a crazy Saturday night bartending gig where he passes giant magnums of Cristal through a coatcheck window and makes hundreds and hundreds of dollars.  Pretty awesome.  Sag Harbor is really beautiful - all of the Hamptons are, actually.  It's more country than I expected and there are some awesome beaches out in Montauk.  Ian has surfed already.  We got wetsuits this week and soon enough, there will be hurricane swell.  Puna is doing well and we miss Lea everyday.  And that's all I got for now.  A good start.  More details on our return to Nicaragua in the next post.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back- missed your posts. That is great about the Hamptons- should make for some hilarious stories. I want a picture of you hair with all the feathers. Love ya Mel

    ReplyDelete