Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Growing List

The list of things to do can get pretty long before a move.  A move is about to occur.  And it's coming upon us, quickly.  We need money.  Hah!  Doesn't everyone?  The dogs are pretty much good to go.  Fine samples of blood were drawn out of the necks of both our canines just the other day and are being fedexed to a lab in Kansas to ensure that they're rabies-free and can in fact, return to these rabies-free islands when our adventure in Nicaragua is over for the season.  This was a mere $135 per dog.  I've mentioned in a previous post that their "Hawaii re-entry fee" is another $165 per dog.  And I think I mentioned in that afore mentioned post, that both dogs are going to cost $400 each way to be transported as cargo.  Good news though.  Continental allows you to fly with two surfboards in one bag for $100.  Now we can bring four boards for $200, where as United charges $175 per board!  Robbery!

As I mentioned, we're moving to Ian's parents house on Feb 1 which will be nice, as it will certainly put us in "leaving the country" mode.  It's time to start minimizing.  I know this drill well.  Less is more.  But what to bring?????  I joked about wanting to bring my 9x13" pyrex baking dish with us and Ian proceeded to tell me that it's hard to find good cooking utensils down there.  Suddenly, it wasn't a joke in my head anymore.  I started thinking about packing measuring spoons and 9" pie pans and which bag they'd best fit in and how I was going to get them there without any breakage.  Then I started thinking about what we need for the dogs and if those things would be hard to find.  Is there a vet nearby?  Can dogs get stung by jellyfish?  Do the ticks in Nicaragua have Lyme's Disease?  Is there fancy, organic fish and sweet potato dog food in Nicaragua or will they have to suffer on Purina?  So many questions!

Eventually though, time runs out and you can't prepare anymore.  You just go.  I'm excited for that day.  The day we just go.  In the meantime, work, work, work.  I'm just about ready to be done with it.  Here's to savin'!  And here's to the dogs coughing up their portion, any day now .......

No comments:

Post a Comment